Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Maps For Sale


The other day Gordon taped this sign to the end table and proceeded in trying to sell me a treasure map. I thought, sure, here is some fake money. No, he wanted real money. Cash, specifically. He wants money to buy his own stuff.
It's my own fault really. Every time he whines that I won't buy him something I say, "When you are old enough and have your own money, you can spend it however you want." Yesterday, he started cleaning without me asking. He cleaned the bathroom, washed the table, dusted, did some dishes, and picked up the front room. He did it all with such a happy, positive attitude. Now, what is it that has him so motivated to make money? He really wants a turtle. We went over to a friends house for dinner last week and they had a fish tank with a turtle in it that they had caught at a golf course pond. Now he won't give up until he catches a turtle. He's seen two just on the little walks we take. He is a very persistent kid. I talked to him about how animals in the wild are meant to stay in the wild and if he really wants a pet we need to get one at the pet store. He has been wanting a pet for at least a year. Chris promised the boys a dog when we got a house and that didn't happen. And it is not going to happen now that we are in an apartment. 
But the boy needs a pet. That is where you come in. 

What is a good pet? I want something in a cage obviously. Something a 6 year old could take care of. Something not stinky. But something fun, that he is not going to loose interest in. What are your thoughts? 

7 comments:

Teri said...

We had a turtle growing up. They were really easy to take care of (just froze some minnows in ice cube trays and threw one to him every day). It wasn't very much fun though.

We also had hamsters. We loved them when we were little, especially my brothers. We always loved atching them stuff their little cheeks with food.

That Gordon, such a little business man :)

Teri said...

*watching...oops :)

julie said...

all pets stink. We had fish growing up. Still kind of stinky. But a turtle or frog, is probably your best bet. I LOVED my hamster so much. But now when I see hamsters I am so grossed. So they stink. But I never got bored.

Katie said...

We've had fish, dogs, and rabbits, but hands down the best pets are Webkinz. Our kids adore the rabbit, but she has to live in the garage so that wouldn't work for you. Do you have rules in your apartment about pets? That might be the best answer---to let someone else be the bad guy and say no. "Gee, Gordon, I wish we could have a turtle, but you know that the management says no pets in this building. Dang it!"

Lexie Thomas said...

Em it sounds like your are busy. Gordon is so cute I love that he is trying to make money. What a cute kid!

ren said...

so cute em. i am a fan of no pets, but that is just me.

Heather said...

haha soooo cute!!! What a cute kid.